A single monitor is not enough for you and you want to somehow solve such an issue? In this article, you will learn how to use a laptop as a monitor. It’s a pretty simple method that consists of several steps.
Advantages of Connecting a Laptop to a Desktop
Sometimes a single monitor doesn’t provide as much space as a user needs. Consequently, they have to toggle windows to simultaneously use several programs, applications, and so forth. Even if your PC is quite powerful, usually such operations perform slow and it takes your time as well as annoys. Nevertheless, if you have a laptop, even an old one, there is a great solution to such a problem. Work with two documents simultaneously, chat and keep playing a video game, display a large project full size, and many other possibilities are available with two screens.
The Best Method to Use a Laptop as a Monitor
There is no easier way to make a laptop your second monitor than to do it on the up-to-date version of Windows 10. Fortunately, it’s a choice of the bulk of users, so this guide will be helpful for the most. This operating system is provided with Miracast that allows connecting a laptop as a monitor without any additional stuff. The only requirements are to have the latest version of the mentioned OS on both devices.
First of all, you need to prepare a laptop. It will take you a few moments:
- Turn on a laptop.
- Find the projection options which are located in system settings.
- Find the menu where a user can choose which devices can be connected. There is an option that allows connecting other devices with the same OS. You need to decide to make projection available everywhere, or only on Secured Networks.
- After, you need to “Ask to project to this PC”. If you are going to use such a feature often, then disable such a function. However, if it would be a single time, set this function to every time.
- Make a PIN code. It will guarantee your safety and exclude the possibility to connect to your PC for other users.
- Plug a laptop in. In another case, it won’t be projected as well as the battery will die soon .
- Take into account the name of a laptop. Find it in “Settings” at the bottom.
After you have prepared a laptop, it’s time to deal with a PC.
- Turn on a PC.
- Press Windows Key+P.
- There will show up a menu where you can choose a projection of your screen. Press on “Extend”.
- Find the name of a laptop.
- Approve the action.
From now, your mission is complete. If you want to disable such a feature, just “Disconnect” it. Remember, that two screens are bad for some resource-taking processes. For example, it won’t perform well if you are going to play a game on two screens. In most cases, there will be a delay.
If users have a more outdated version of the OS, or just don’t have a connection to the Internet, buy Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and plug it in USB and HDMI ports.